Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Spare Time Challenge


We all have it, the vast majority of us waste at least some of it, many of us think we're using it productively but in retrospect realize we could have used it better. Spare Time - those moments, both short and long, that come between the essentials of life - sleeping, eating, basic hygiene, and working for a living. I was inspired to start this for a number of reasons, but one of the big ones was one of my best friend's blog. She has done infinitely more than I on a hobby we share in common, and I suspect her blog about her hobbies has been one of the motivating factors. So, now it's my turn to try this as a motivational tool. The challenge I put forward to myself, and to anyone who may chance upon this blog is to account for and come to rethink our "spare time".

Today, in a moment of spare time, I started this blog. Only hindsight will tell me if this is merely a distraction from responsibilities or a tool to help me refocus my life. My life is good, I'm not complaining, but there are so many things I want to do, and after a period of time, there is so much I find myself wishing I had done. I have an amazing husband, fantastic children, and really good friends. I appreciate all I have. I just want to challenge myself to make the most out of this life I'm privileged to have.

Today will be a day for Family. Here in Canada, it is the day before our official Thanksgiving holiday, which I like to refer to as "Turkey Hangover Day". Today, therefore, is the day we actually spend copious amounts of time in the kitchen in order to feast with friends and family later today. The question is, other than the essential preparation and clean-up of a huge meal, what else will I do with those stolen moments we all have during the day.

I challenge all of us - think about 1 thing you could do with 10 minutes. I don't think anyone can claim they never had 10 minutes they could carve out of the day. Be aware of what you do with those 10 minutes, record it here if you like, but let's see what magic we might experience today.

No comments:

Post a Comment